Odisha! On hearing this name, the thought that first comes to our mind is that it’s the land of Lord Jagannath. But what most people don’t know is that Odisha has the country’s best kept secrets – whether it’s the lush green forests, magnificent landscapes, tranquil lakes or the splendid temples and a flourishing wildlife. In all the everyday hustle bustle there is no better way to reset ourselves than to escape into nature. Now save yourself some excitement and read on to know about the best road trips in Odisha that are perfect even for the weekend getaways.
Imagine what fun and magical it would be if you hop on a road trip with your close friends to visit all these places! So Let’s not wait any further and checkout the list we have curated for the most scenic road trips in Odisha.
1. Bhubaneswar to Kapilash
Kapilash is located in the Dhenkanal district of Odisha. It is a temple which is present on top of a hill and is the divine home of Lord Shiva. It is popularly known as the Kailash of Odisha. The temple is surrounded by the eastern ghats thus you can expect to see a dense forest that also is home to some animals like monkeys, peacocks, squirrels and jungle cats.
If you are travelling from Bhubaneswar, you need to take a diversion near Tangi on NH16 to get to the Kapilash road. The road is filled with greenery on both sides giving you one of the best driving experiences.
- Distance from Bhubaneswar: 84 Km
- Drive Time: 4 Hours
- Best time to visit: All year round
- Nearby places to explore: Kapilash deer park, Dhenkanal palace, Kapilash science park
2. Bhubaneswar to Barehipani Waterfall
Barehipani waterfall is still unexplored and remains untouched. It is located in Mayurbhanj district inside the Similipal National park. What most people don’t know is that this waterfall is the second highest waterfall in India dropping from the height of 399 Meters.
The trip to this place is very interesting as you will be passing though dense forests and hills. Well, for this drive you definitely need someone to accompany you with driving as you can feel fatigue from the long drive. Don’t forget to carry some snacks, play some good music and you are good to go.
- Distance from Bhubaneswar: 279 Km
- Drive Time: 7 Hours 30 Minutes
- Best time to visit: October to February
- Nearby places to explore: Similipal National park, Uski waterfall, Joranda waterfall
3. Bhubaneswar to Dhabaleshwar
Dhabaleshwar is a Shiva temple in the Cuttack district, which is famous because it’s an island that is connected to the main land through a hanging bridge. On reaching the Dhabaleshwar road, most of your road trip is going to be along the Mahanadi river. On the other side the pure beauty of nature and clean air makes the ride even more memorable. If you are up for some extra adventure, there are also boats available to cross the river apart form the bridge to reach the temple.
- Distance from Bhubaneswar: 29 Km
- Drive Time: 42 Minutes
- Best time to visit: All year round
- Nearby places to explore: Mahanadi Barrage, Barabati Fort, Maa Cuttack Chandi temple, Netaji birth place Museum
4. Bhubaneswar to Daringbadi
Daringbadi is also known as Odisha’s very own Kashmir and for all the right reasons. The road to Daringbadi is considered as one of the most thrilling adventures. But be prepared as the curvy roads might put you driving skills into test.
Either side of the road is covered with pine trees. This place is sure to mesmerize you with its beauty. On top of all this, Daringbadi sometimes witnesses snowfall in winters and that’s one more reason why this place should not be missed out from your list.
- Distance from Bhubaneswar: 247 Km
- Drive Time: 5 Hours 50 Minutes
- Best time to visit: December to February
- Nearby places to explore: Coffee garden, Hill view park, Herbal garden
5. Bhubaneswar to Aryapalli Beach
Aryapalli beach is located at the coast of Bay of Bengal in the District of Ganjam. The beach witnesses the meeting point of Bay of Bengal and Rushikulya river. The road from Bhubaneswar is quite a fun-filled one as the roads are in great condition. Along the sides of the road you would get go see the mighty green mountains. Drive though some twisted ghats and get a glimpse of the Chilika lake from atop.
- Distance from Bhubaneswar: 155 Km
- Drive Time: 3 Hours 40 Minutes
- Best time to visit: October to June
- Nearby places to explore: Gopalpur beach, Tampara lake, Sonepur beach
6. Bhubaneswar to Keonjhar
It wouldn’t be wrong to say that Keonjhar is one of the most magnificent places present in the outskirts of Odisha. Rich in flora and fauna it also has many waterfalls like Sanaghagara, Badaghagara, Khandadhar and Handibhanga. The road trip to Keonjhar is pretty off-beat with the combination of all the natural beauty it has to offer.
- Distance from Bhubaneswar: 219 Km
- Drive Time: 4 Hours 30 Minutes
- Best time to visit: December to March
- Nearby places to explore: Gundichaghagi waterfall, Sitabinji Fresco Painting and Rock Inscription
7. Bhubaneswar to Puri-Konark Marine Drive
Counted among the favorite driving routes in the state is indeed the mesmerizing one. On one side of the road the trees look like a canopy and on the other side the waves from the ocean crashing on the shore. It caters as the most picturesque destination for all the photography enthusiasts. If you haven’t already went on this trip, you are definitely missing a lot.
- Distance from Bhubaneswar: 64 Km
- Drive Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
- Best time to visit: October to January
- Nearby places to explore: Konark Sun temple, Ramachandi beach, Chandrabhaga beach, Sudarshan crafts museum
So at the end of this read you get an idea on some of the most scenic road trips in Odisha. Now all you have to do is to put on your travelling gears and set on that most awaited ride. As there is no better way to unwind your senses than to join your closest ones and set on exploring the unexplored !!
Do share with us the one you found the most spellbinding.
More places in Odisha that might interest you: Best Places to Travel solo in Odisha