Odisha, formerly known as Orissa, is a heritage & culturally enriching state in East India. This coastal state offers marvelous architectural wonders of forts & temples and the natural beauty of sun-kissed beaches and beautiful lakes. The long list of beaches, biosphere reserves, temples, museums, and other tourist places in Odisha make the state a must-visit destination.
Odisha, the state with a glorious history, is a state of nature and adventure. Inhabited by tribal people and not so developed state of Odisha must be visited to experience the wonders of this beautiful state.
Here is a list of the top historical places in Odisha.
List Of Historical Places In Odisha
- Sri Jagannath Puri Temple
- Konark Temple
- Barabati Fort
- Khandagiri Cave
- Ananta Vasudeva Temple
- Ranipur Jharia
- Lingaraj Temple
- Hari Shankar Temple
- Huma Temple
- Brahmeshwara Temple
- Vaital Deul Temple
1.Sri Jagannath Puri Temple
- Amid the spectacular views of the eastern coast of India, lies the state of Odisha which is known for spreading spirituality by its many temples.
- One special temple out of them is the Jagannath Temple which finds its place in the city of Puri.
- This glorious temple is the abode of Lord Jagannath who is a form of Lord Vishnu.
- It is the most revered pilgrimage site for Hindus and is included in the pious Char Dham Yatra with Badrinath, Dwarka and Rameshwaram.
- Apart from that, what pulls pilgrims to this place of worship even more is the annual Ratha Yatra (Chariot festival).
- One major ceremony followed in the festival is the public procession of the three principal deities of the temple present on embellished temple cars.
- Anathor important thing is Mahaprasad of the temple is something you should not miss. In one of the largest kitchens of India, the lip-smacking food is cooked in earthen pots for thousands every day and offered to devotees.
- Situated at the northeastern part of Puri, Konark Sun Temple is a UNESCO World Heritage site online and one of the top visitor sights of Odisha.
- Built withinside the shape of a large Rath or chariot of the Sun God, it depicts the chariot being pulled via way of means of a hard and fast of 7 horses, 4 at the left aspect and 3 at the right.
- It has 3 deities devoted to the Sun God on 3 exceptional facets of the temple which trap the direct rays of solar withinside the morning, afternoon and evening.
- There is likewise a devoted archaeological museum in the temple complex.
- Konark Sun Temple is one of the remaining status systems earlier than the 15th century withinside the country.
- The solar rays attain the Nata Mandir from the coast and replicate thru the diamond on the centre of the idol.
- An engineering and inventive masterpiece, The Sun Temple has been status stoically for the remaining thousand years. Despite a great deal of the temple in ruin, it nonetheless displays the inventive genius of architects and sculptures of the time.
- Dhauli is a small place eight Km away south of Bhubaneswar, positioned at the financial institution of river Daya and holds extraordinary importance for the fans of lord Buddha.
- Dhauli is stated to be the witness of the reform of Ashoka’s character. This is the place which is thought to the land for the Kalinga War.
- The conflict become so severe that it’s miles stated that Daya’s water had became purple with the bloodshed due to the massacre.
- Dhauli has numerous important Ashoka edicts and it’s miles now an critical centre for Buddhism in India.
- Ashoka constructed numerous Stupas, Chaityas, Pillars across the metropolis and did his excellent to create a non violent society via way of means of supporting others publish conflict.
- Dhauli has a lovely Peace Pagoda which draws hundreds of vacationers each year.
- Besides Buddhists, Hindus additionally go to Dhauli to go to a number of the historic temples of extraordinary reverence located on this lovely metropolis.
- The Barabati Fort in Cuttack in Odisha is a widely known fort with carved gateway. It is set 8km farfar from the town.
- It is a 14th century fort construct at some point of the Ganga dynasty. The fort is located at the river Mahanadi.
- It is the earthen mound of the nine storeyed palace. The monument changed into constructed with fortification to guard from enemy attacks. In gift days a close-by Barabati stadium is construct for cultural and diverse sports activities events.
- There is likewise a temple committed to Katak Chandi.. The fort covers a place of approximately 102 acres.
- The fort changed into re-hooked up in 14th century and partitions of the fort are constructed with sandstone and laterite.
- Also called Cuttack caves, Khandagiri Caves are synthetic caves placed withinside the nation of Orissa which date again to second century.
- This location is pretty a sight to peer with all of the superbly carved inscriptions and figures.
- This location holds a first-rate ancient significance. A huge wide variety of historic temples with complicated carvings surround this location that have their very own significance.
- If you need to loosen up and spend a few quiet time amidst nature, some of lush inexperienced parks also are placed round Khandagiri Caves.
6.Ananta Vasudeva Temple
- Dedicated to Lord Vishnu, the Ananta-Vasudeva Temple turned into constructed through Queen Chandrika a while at some stage in the thirteenth century.
- The temple showcases Vaishnav symbols and figures, and resembles the Lingaraj Temple of Bhubaneswar.
- Inside, there are idols of Lord Krishna, Lord Balarama and Goddess Subhadra. While the idol of Balarama stands beneathneath a seven-hooded serpent, that of Subhadra holds a pot of jewels, and Lord Krishna holds a mace, chakra, lotus and conch.
- Ananta Vasudeva is any other call for Lord Vishnu, and legend has it that even earlier than the temple turned into constructed, an idol of Lord Vishnu turned into worshipped here.
- Today, each day Arti (a holy hearthplace ritual) is organized on the temple. During the pageant of Janmashtami, the temple hosts a big birthday party comprising prayers and devotional songs.
- Situated a 104 km farfar from the Balangir metropolis in south west Odisha, Ranipur Jharial is likewise called Chausath Yogini temple.
- Here are sixty four shrines of yoginis that are worshipped in a round open vault.
- The site considered as pious and is worshipped through a aggregate of faiths that consist of Saivism, Buddhism, Vaisnavism and Tantrism.
- Ranipur Jharial is mentioned as ‘Soma Tirtha’ in the scriptures. Perhaps it takes the name from the Someshwar Mahadev temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, found on the rocks of this historical site.
- The Lingaraj Temple is the oldest temple situated in the city of Bhubaneswar and is the largest one situated in the city.
- Lingaraj Temple – a veritable landmark of Odisha, is known for its religious significance and magnificence architecture.
- Believed to be built in the 11th-century, this Lord Shiva temple has its description in the Brahma Purana (an ancient scripture) and is esteemed as one of the oldest temples in the Bhubaneshwar.
- Shivaratri which is the main festival of Lingaraj Temple.
- Besides, the Rath Yatra (chariot festival) is also celebrated at Lingaraj Temple with so much zeal and devotion on the day of Ashokastami
- The edifice of the temple is a great example of the Odissi style of architecture and has intricately designed stone vaults covering the main sanctum of the temple.
- A small temple dedicated to Goddess Bhagwati is located in the northwest corner of the courtyard as well.
9.Hari Shankar Temple
- Harishankar Temple, additionally referred to as Sri Sri Harisankar Devasthana is a maximum respected Hindu temple as gods- Vishnu and Shiva, are worshipped right here together.
- Aside from being a website of spiritual importance, it additionally draws a whole lot of vacationers because the location could be very peaceful.
- Just adjoining to the temple, there’s a tranquil circulation passing at the granite mattress and a small waterfall that makes it a completely scenic destination.
- The lean temple Located in Huma on the bank of Mahanadi, this temple is devoted to the Hindu God, Lord Shiva (worshipped as Bimaleshwar).
- However, the lean of the temple has now no longer been measured but at any time.
- Shivratri is one of the major festivals that are celebrated in the temple.
- An annual fair held at the temple during Shivratri and huge locals and tourists that include foreign visitors have been attending the fair.
- The Government of Odisha has also built a hanging bridge across the river to attract tourists to the fair.
Also Read: Places To Visit In Jammu and Kashmir In 2022
- Patalganga is one of the most visited tourist hotspots of Odisha.
- It is a small beautiful lake which is believed to be as holy as the River Ganges. Locals perform their poojas downstream while tourists come to visit it as well.
- mythology is that when Lord Ram, Laxman and Sita visited here during their exile, Sita felt thirsty.
- so, Laxman broke the ground with his bare feet and that’s how the lake sprung. People here gather in large number to take their bath in the holy water.
- Probably the maximum well-known Buddhist viharas (monasteries) in Odisha, Pushpagiri is perched atop of Languri Hills withinside the Jajpur district.
- The Buddhist centre of Pushpagiri additionally has its description in medieval Tibetan texts.
- The complicated of Pushpagiri sprawls over 3 hilltops (Lalitgiri, Ratnagiri, and Udayagiri) that consist of numerous stupas, temples, monasteries, and sculptures which boasts structure layout from the Gupta Period .
- Throughout this whole-time span, severa ruins have been recovered from this vicinity that consists of a chunk of Brahmi inscription diagnosed as Pushpagiri, a big stupa, artefacts, and more.
- Some 83 km east of Bhubaneswar, there may be placed an historic Buddhist complicated amidst the picturesque Birupa-Chitrotpala valley withinside the district of Cuttack, Odisha.
- Lalitgiri is an vital a part of Diamond Triangle of Odisha which incorporates 3 principal historic Buddhist sites; Ratnagiri and Udayagiri being the opposite .
- The location constitutes stupas, monasteries, and Buddha photos as its important attractions. It is stated that Lalitgiri changed into a high location of Tantric Buddhism.
- From this site a massive stupa recovered with caskets with a few relics.
- As in line with the archaeological experts, those are Buddha’s relics. Besides, remnants of 4 monasteries have been additionally located on this excavation process.
- Moreover, the idols of Buddha in exclusive postures along side some prestigious relics have been additionally located.
- Another speak of this enchanting location is a museum wherein sculptures of Buddhas, stone statues, photos of diverse deities and relic caskets are placed on a display.
- Comes beneathneath the district of Mayurbhanj, Khiching is a historical village that come to be as quickly because the capital of Bhanja rules.
- Kichakeswari Temple is crafted from chlorite slabs and boasts an beautiful Kalinga architectural design.
- However, the temple is notion to be the number one temple of Odisha and because of this Khiching is known as the town with a rich historic beyond data.
- It is also said that, as quickly because the town come to be a house of eight Shiva temples out of which seven can however be traced.
- At present, there are honestly three historic temples left that worship Chandrasekhar, Kutaitundi, and Kichakeswari.
- In order to entice greater travelers to the village, a museum has been moreover mounted that boasts life-duration images of numerous deities like Ganesha, Durga, Tara, Parvati, Parsvanatha, Vaishnavi, Avalokitesvara, Kartikeya, Dhyana Buddha, Uma-Maheshwari, and Nandi.
- Sambalpur is the gateway to the western area of Orissa.
- It abounds in prolific rivers, lavish hills, lush inexperienced forests and prosperous natural world. Holding a giant ancient importance, the region additionally has a flourishing fabric and handloom enterprise famous for its particular style.
- In addition to that, Sambalpur has a flourishing tribal lifestyles with extraordinary notable peoples songs-dances and culture.
- Sambalpur were given its call from Devi Samaleswari who’s the principle goddess of the region.
- The region is thought for the sector well-known Hirakud Dam that’s the principle enchantment for the vacationers right here.Sambalpur is the largest town of western Odisha.
- Sambalpur is well-known for its handlooms and fabric enterprise. This region is famous for its Sambalpuri Saree.
- Padmapur is one of the famous villages withinside the district of Rayagada of the kingdom Odisha, particularly due to the severa temples positioned withinside the town.
- There is a hillock at the northern aspect of the village that embraces the surrounding of this area and attracts bigger chew of tourists.
- On this hillock, there are temples like Mallikeswar, Neelkantheshwar, Pudugeswar, and Dhabaleswar that lines their records from the historical times.
- These temples are committed to Lord Shiva. Making the area an crucial history centre in Odisha, a 7th-century inscription became discovered in Neelkantheshwar Temple which said that the almost positioned Jagdamba Hills became as soon as the house of a monastery of the famous Buddhist logician-logician named Dharmakirti.
- The Brahmeshwara Temple is yet another relic of the brilliance of Oriyan style of architecture. Built in the 11th century, this temple is surrounded by four smaller shrines.
- Opening its doors to the pilgrims who want to enlighten themselves with the worship of Lord Shiva is the Brahmeshwara Temple in Odisha.
- Finding its place back in 9th century CE, it is revered as one of the popular temples of Odisha for it’s finely crafted sculpture on the porch and tower of its structure.
- Settled in the temple city of Bhubaneswar, Brahmeshwara Temple is visited around the year by pilgrims who are also pulled in by the beauty of four other temples snuggled in the corners of Brahmeshwara.
- The main shrine in this temple is that of a Shivalingam and there are also sculptures of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati alongside.
- Famous for its beautiful carvings, it attracts a lot of pilgrims throughout the year.
18.Vaital Deul Temple
- While one of a kind temples of India boasts a completely unique architectural layout and wealthy history, Vaital Deul Temple in Bhubaneshwar become constructed withinside the overdue 8th-century and is one of the oldest temples in Odisha.
- Being one in all its kind, Vaital Deul Temple is devoted to Goddess Chamundi (Kali) and become as soon as dedicated to the tantric cult.
- Presently, it’s miles one of these shrines in Odisha which can be especially respected among the Hindu devotees, and hence, gets a big footfall of pilgrims on auspicious occasions.
- The duel (tower) of the temple is the maximum placing function of the structure of this well-known pilgrimage.
- Another appeal of this well-known temple is a motif with the solar god. This motif is stated to be a layout or manual for the famed Sun Temple in Konark.
- Among the lively states of India, Odisha has its very own Unique identity. To this land nature blessed with unattainable beauties in shape of forest, wildlife, waterfalls, and warm water springs etc. plenty more.
- In the thick of all warm water springs, Atri-warm water spring is thriving one. It is located pretty much 42km farfar from ‘Bhubaneswar’ in amidst greenery.
- Officially this stunning traveler vacation spot is located in Khurda district of Odisha. This is one of the iconic traveler spots in addition to the spiritual factor for peoples of Odisha and for different travelers.
- The temperature of the water of this warm spring is set 57 °C and it’s believed that this warm spring has medicinal and religious residences for curing pores and skin sicknesses and different sicknesses as well.
- Tourist loves the steam bathing facility right here and believed that the spirituality of this water curing sicknesses and purify sole, so hundreds of travelers journeying this area each day.
- Apart from all travelers revel in right here loads and again to their area with a coronary heart complete of candy memories.
With this, we have come to the end of the list of some Historical places in Odisha.
Further read:11 Intresting Unknown Facts About Odisha