Many tourists visit Odisha to explore its rich cultural heritage sites, architecture and the amazing temples. Temple city Bhubaneswar, Silver city Cuttack, Spiritual city Puri are some of the most famous places of Odisha.
The temples in Odisha are said to have given supreme expression to architecture. Temples are the places where people come to worship God. So today, I am gonna tell you about Top 7 Ancient & Famous Temples in Odisha that you must visit.
1.Puri Jagannath Temple:-
Sri Jagannath temple located in the coastal town of Puri one of the four char dham spots built in the 12th century. The char dham pilgrimage spots are important for Hindu devotees. Lord Jagannath, Lord Balabhadra and Goddess Subhadra in the temple cars to gives darshan to the devotees.
- Best time to Visit: The Chariot Festival is the time to visit Puri
- Temple timing: Everyday the temple is open from 5 am to 11 pm for devotees
- Temple Address: Jagannath Temple, Puri District, Odisha – 752001
- Nearest Attraction: Narendra Sarovara, Puri Beach, Chilika Wildlife sanctuary, Sudarshan craft museum
2.Konark Sun Temple:-
Konark Sun Temple located in Konark in the state of Odisha. The main part of the structure is now in ruins. It is dedicated to the Lord Sun. It is a monument representation of the Sun Chariot. The Chariot decorated with 24 wheels which is led by a team of six horses. Konark temple also famous for konark dance festival. Konark sun temple is one of the most crowed Odisha temple.
- Best time to Visit:- The time between 7 pm to 8 pm to see the light and sound show
- Temple Timing:– 6 am to 8 pm
- Temple Address:- Konark ,Odisha – 752111
- Nearest Attraction :- Chandra bhaga sea beach which is just 3 kms away
Lingaraj Temple is one of the oldest temple in Odisha which is located in Bhubaneswar. It is a hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.The temple is built in Kalinga architecture style. The temple deula styled construction include four components which is Vimana Natamandira, Jagamohana, Bhoga mandapa. The main festival of the temple are Shiva ratri and RathYatra.
- Temple timing :– Open on all days from 5 am to 9 pm
- Best time to visit :- Shivaratri celebration is best time to visit
- Temple Address :- Lingaraj nagar,old town,Bhubaneswar,odisha – 751002
- Nearest attraction :- dhauli giri hills Ekamra heritage walls
Mukteswar temple is located in capital of odisha Bhubaneswar. The temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Mukteswar which means “GOD OF FREEDOM”. The temple outer walls have niches of hindus gods and goddess. A three day yearly dance festival known as Mukteswar Dance Festival. Many people come to visit this temple every day as it is believed that wish come true when prayed from the bottom of heart.
- Temple timing :- All days 6:30 am to 7:30 pm
- Best time to visit :- The yearly mukeswar dance festival is good time to visit
- Temple Address :- Bhubaneswar ,Odisha
- Nearest Attraction :- Lingaraj temple, Museum of tribal arts and artifacts and dhauli
Dhabaleswar temple is situated at a distance of 37km away from cuttack in Odisha.Dhabaleswar temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple is located at the River Mahanadi. The main festival celebrated here are ShivaRatri,Pausha purnima, Dola purnima and Kartik purnima.
- Temple timing :- 5 am to 12:30 apm and 1 pm to 9 pm
- Best time to visit :- Dola purnima,Kartik purnima and Shiva ratri
- Temple Address :- Canal road, cuttack,Odisha- 753007
- Nearest Attraction :- Nandankanan zoological park,odisha maritime museum
Rajarani temple is known as the “LOVE TEMPLE”.The temple is not dedicated to any god and goddess. The temple is said to be built around 11t and 12th centuries. The three day rajarani music festival is organised by the temple which is mainly focus on Hindustani, Odissi music and classical.
- Temple timing :- open all days 6:30 am to 7pm
- Best time to visit :- The Rajarani music festival
- Temple address :- Tankapani road, bhubaneswar, Odisha 751002
- Nearest Attraction :- Dhauli shanti stupa,udaygiri cave,Isckon temple
7.Maa taratarini temple:-
Maa TaraTarini temple is one of the oldest pilgrimage of the mother Goddess and one of the four shakti peetha in India. It is located on the kumari hills at the bank of the river rushikulya near Brahmapur city in ganjam district.It is believed that sati devi breasts were fallen here in the temple and the shrine is referred to as Maa Tara Devi. Chaitra Mela is the most popular festival celebrate here.
- Temple timing :- 5 am to 9.45 pm
- Best time to visit :- The chaitra mela is the best time to visit here
- Temple address :- temple road,near rushikulya river,Odisha 761018
- Nearset Attraction :- Gopalpur beach,Jirang monastery
This article based on Ancient and famous temples in Odisha. From this article we comes to know that our temple as great and large history which stands as a pillar behind our culture and a beautiful heritage. When our society distract of our culture temples are act like a glowing diamond in the darkness.
Odisha was the state in India where you can see the most of the Ancient Monument in a single life place and a very high take and modern life style of the people. This is the exception where the ancient civilization and the modern life style and central government to preservation of Ancient monument existing in Odisha for future generation.