Planning for a nature’s trip? Odisha is well known for its national parks,cultural heritages,oceans and lakes. But what about its waterfalls? Are you aware of its amazing and marvelous waterfalls?
Odisha is one of the most sort out places to spend a short vacation with our family and friends. It is a home to stunning waterfalls all across the state,whose scenery is adorable. Almost of all its districts have numbers of waterfalls that are worth exploring.
Here are my most favourite waterfalls in Odisha. This blog will let you explore the most famous waterfalls in Odisha to relish your winter trip!!
1. BAREHIPANI WATERFALL, MAYURBANJ
- Height: 1309 ft (399m)
- Best Time to Visit: October to June
Barehipani waterfall is the second highest waterfall in India. It is located in Simlipal National park in Mayurbhanj district. It is a two drop waterfall that descends from meghasini hills. The tallest drop ranges 259 m.
Those who are visiting the national park for sighting the Bengal and White Tiger, their experience becomes even exciting and wonderful with the presence of this popular tourist attraction amid the thriving vegetation of the region.
- The nearest railway station is Baripada railway station.
- The distance by road is 284.9 km via Badshahi Rd from Bhubaneswar.
- Height: 801ft (244m)
- Best Time to Visit: After Monsoons
Khandadhar Falls is located at Nandapani, Bonaigarh in Sundergarh district and is regarded as 12th highest waterfall in India. The falls descends in the shape of a horsetail, amidst a dense forest,dropping from a height of 244m. It is a single drop waterfall.
Travellers can hike and trekk after monsoons. It is a very good picnic spot and around its entire area and the rare medical could be found.
- The nearest railway station is Gaganaposh railway station and Bimlagarh junction.
- The distance by road is 267.6 km via Badakera – Cuttack Rd from Bhubaneswar.
- Height: 574ft (175m)
- Best Time to Visit: August to November
Duduma Waterfall,known as one of the highest waterfall in India,is located in Badigada village of Koraput. This is originated from river Manchkund. It covers both Koraput and Visakhapatnam districts of Odisha and Andhra Pradesh respectively.
It is a one drop waterfall and helps in generation of electricity.The waterfall is considered one of the best tourist spots in Odisha where people can sit back and relax.
- Its nearest railway station is Bheja train station.
- The distance by road is 546.1 km via NH16 from Bhubaneswar.
- Height: 490ft (150m)
- Best Time To Visit: October to Febraury
Joranda Waterfall which is located in close vicinity to Barehipani falls,is known as the 19th highest waterfall in India. This waterfall is also located in Simlipal National Park,district of Mayurbanj.
Being a straight and single drop,this waterfall is surrounded by beautiful hills and lush green trees, will be an ideal location for photographers and nature lovers.
- The nearest railway station is at Baripada that is 120 km from the town of Jashipur.
- The distance by road is 276.5 km via Badshahi Rd from Bhubaneswar.
- Height: 200ft (61m)
- Best Time to Visit: October to Febraury
Koilighugar Waterfall,a splendid waterfall is located in Lakhanpur, near the village Kushmelbahal. The waterfall is in a rivulet named Ahiraj which originates from the ‘Chhuikhanch’ forest. After the waterfall, the rivulet flows westwards to merge into the Mahanadi river.
This is a single drop waterfall that can be a great picnic spot with family and friends.
- The nearest railway station is Daghora and Himgir.
- The distance by road is 353.6 km via Badakera – Cuttack Rd and NH55 from Bhubaneswar.
- Height: 200ft (60m)
- Best Time to Visit: December to February
Badaghagara Waterfall is a famous waterfall,which is a special part of Ghaghara River. It is about 9 km away from the district headquarter of the town, Kendujhar.
It is a single drop waterfall.The region around this waterfall is an ideal place for picnic and trekking.Near this place,there is a famous temple named Ghatagaan Tarini is also situated .
- The nearest railway station is keonjhar railway station.
- The distance by road is 224.5 km via Badshahi Rd and NH20 from Bhubaneswar.
- Best Time to Visit: November to April
Debakunda or Devkund Waterfall is located in Mayurbanj district and is a part of Simlipal National park. It is a combination of two words that is “Deva” means deity and “Kunda” means tub.
The flowing water from hill top has created a pond.Being, a religious as well as a tourist destination, the Devkund waterfall is popular among adventure enthusiasts, nature lovers and also religious individuals who like to visit the temple located on the top of the hill, named Shakti Pitha.
- The nearest railway station is Mayurbanj railway station.
- The distance by road is 238.3 km via Badshahi Rd from Bhubaneswar.
I hope my article on 7 famous waterfalls in Odisha for winter trip makes your trip more exciting and thrilling. Do you know some other great waterfalls in Odisha? Let me know in the comments.